[asterisk-users] ATA recommendation (wih FTP provisioning)

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Fri Feb 27 10:20:37 CST 2009

>I don't think they are "locking" the same device that you buy when you buy
>the "-NA" version.  I believe that Linksys is making pre-configured
>devices for these large buyers and selling them much cheaper to them in
>bulk than they sell the -NA version to the community at large.

I'm sure you are correct.  The basic firmware is the same, but they come pre-loaded with configuration that automatically goes to the provider's web site.  Again, that's not bad as long as there is a "factory reset" that can restore it, which there is, but it is password protected and the provider won't give out the password.  If the device were owned by the provider, that would be acceptable, but the provider sells them to the customer so the customer deserves to be able to use them for other purposes if they need to.

Wilton