[asterisk-users] Asterisk on the Cloud With a Click - pre-built Asterisk Amazon EC2 instance

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Feb 18 15:46:08 CST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:18 PM, Eric Chamberlain wrote:

> Asterisk-users,
>
> Our two-part tutorial explaining how to use VoIP and Asterisk in
> Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) has garnered quite a bit of
> attention. But due to the time required to complete the many steps
> needed to get up and running, some of you have asked if it is possible
> to create a much simpler to install “pre-built” Asterisk EC2
> “instance.”
>
> In short, yes it is. And we’ve done just that for you.
>
> With the power of the cloud, it’s not necessary have to wait days or
> hours for servers to be rebuilt. We don’t even need to start with a
> server that has nothing more than an operating system on it. Someone
> (Voxillans) can do all the grunt work: building, compiling, installing
> software; then share the complete server with others (you). Amazon
> calls this sharing Amazon Machine Images (AMIs).
>
> Now you have two choices, you can either build the Asterisk server
> yourself, or you can use Voxilla’s pre-built image to eliminate a lot
> of the heavy lifting.
>
> Learn more at http://voxilla.com/2009/02/18/asterisk-on-the-cloud-with-a-click-1405
>
> --
> Eric Chamberlain, Founder
> RF.com - http://RF.com/

I'd like to add that this is a particularly useful image since it
includes both a fairly recent version of Asterisk (1.6.0.5) and also
includes functional DAHDI timers to allow MeetMe and other timing-
specific apps to work correctly.

I'd very much like to hear of anyone doing load testing on the small,
medium, and large instances of EC2 with this image.  I think it's a
great way to get people working with Asterisk very quickly, and
without having to compile or manage operating-system level issues to
start with.  It's always easier to learn to be a mechanic by starting
with an assembled car and working backwards than with a pile of parts,
even if ultimately you need to be able to take the parts and build the
car yourself.

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=2086

There are several Asterisk images on EC2 that are already available,
but this one seems to have all the parts for a baseline Asterisk
system without too many frills.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/