[asterisk-users] CISCO 2950 -> 4 connections -> Cap of 512 Kbps -> How to bond ?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:33:48 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Vikas <topgun9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My three questions are:
> 1. Is there any technical reason behind why the ISP will not sell more
> then 512 Kbps of b/w on a single port to us ?

Yes. Somebody programmed their equipment that way and didn't train
anybody else on Cisco before they got a better job. A Cisco 2950 can
do 100Mbps per port (or 1000Mbps if it's a 2950G), and while you can't
send all of that upstream, you can send way more than 12Mbps upstream.

> 2. Can I do something to over come the restriction put by the ISP.

Yep, lots of things, none of which are going to be as direct as
telling them that you've found another ISP who will give you what you
want, and either they can remain your ISP and rehire the guy who knows
how to program Cisco gear, or you are terminating your contract.

Unless you live truly in the middle of nowhere, you will be able to
find somebody else who can provide your phone service.

Also, twenty simultaneous connections sounds a lot like a traditional
T1. Call your phone company and compare the price of getting a T1
versus what these clowns are charging you. Just because you have voip
now, doesn't mean it's cheaper than POTS. Asterisk does a great job of
acting as a T1 to voip gateway. You can even get appliances for that
task.

> 3. Is there an automated script that can load balance the asterisk
> calls across these 4 connections ?

It will be way easier to write your termination letter than to write
that script. This is a human problem, and not an asterisk problem.