[asterisk-users] CISCO 2950 -> 4 connections -> Cap of 512 Kbps -> How to bond ?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Feb 12 16:37:33 CST 2009

Vikas <topgun9 at gmail.com> writes:

> My three questions are:
> 1. Is there any technical reason behind why the ISP will not sell more
> then 512 Kbps of b/w on a single port to us ?

The copper to your location only handles 512kpbs per pair, so they add
an extra modem every time they open a new port?

> 2. Can I do something to over come the restriction put by the ISP.

Most likely not.

> 3. Is there an automated script that can load balance the asterisk
> calls across these 4 connections ?

If you get a different IP address on each port, it's hard. You'd need
a device which could do flow-based NAT, and that would only work for
outbound calls.

On the other hand, if the ISP cooperates, there are lots of options:
a) Multi-pair SDSL modems
b) Multi-link PPP
c) Equal-cost multipath

/Benny