[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

peder at networkoblivion.com peder at networkoblivion.com
Mon Feb 9 19:23:10 CST 2009

You need a router with DSP modules for it to terminate voice, otherwise
it is just a data BRI and a router that has SIP.  1600's don't have them
and only the 1750-V/1751-V and 1760 support them on the 1700 series.

Pretty much every Cisco router from the 1600 and up supports a BRI
WIC/NM for data only if that is what you need.  I don't think they even
sell the BRI cards any more as nobody uses them.  If you just need data,
then you could also get an 802 or 804 as those are probably $50 total
for router and BRI card, of course you can't do SIP/VoIP on them.