[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Mon Feb 9 19:40:07 CST 2009

>You might want to look into Cisco hardware, their WIC-1B-U cards work
fine in the US, or they did 10 years ago when I last used them for
VoIP.  Used the WIC-1B-U is going for under $50 on eBay.  An old 1600
or 1700 series router with an IOS that supports SIP wouldn't cost much
either.

Help me connect the dots here.  I indeed see WIC-1B-U cards and 1721 routers.  It looks like a pair could be purchased for probably $25.  How does that fit into an Asterisk system?  I can see how it would be used for 128K data, but how does Asterisk pick up and manipulate the data?  Call setup? Call answering?  Does the 1721 deliver VoIP data that Asterisk can process?  Does Asterisk have a channel interface that can accept and use this?

Thanks,
Wilton