[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Eric Chamberlain eric at rf.com
Mon Feb 9 18:35:35 CST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Michael Higgins wrote:

> Folks --
>
> First, apologies for not lurking for weeks or months to get the
> culture of the list. I read the recent post about improvement to the
> quality of posts with some amusement and full agreement. The problem
> is a big and very real one. I hope I'm not deepening it.
>
> But my question isn't explicitly asked with this subject line or
> definitively answered in the archives -- that I have found.
>
> What I did find left me with the impression that USA 'BRI', uh,
> '2B1Q' protocol(?) is not supported by *any* hardware vendor, at
> all, period, nor is it tested and proved in the software...
> stack(?), in one related branch or another on the OS side.

You might want to look into Cisco hardware, their WIC-1B-U cards work
fine in the US, or they did 10 years ago when I last used them for
VoIP.  Used the WIC-1B-U is going for under $50 on eBay.  An old 1600
or 1700 series router with an IOS that supports SIP wouldn't cost much
either.

--
Eric Chamberlain, Founder
RF.com - http://RF.com/