[asterisk-users] What t38pt_udptl is ? Explain T.38 in 1.4

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:23:38 CST 2009

Hi,

I would like to improve my understanding of T.38.

1. What T38FAX_VERSION_0 or T38FAX_VERSION_1 in chan_sip.c means ?
voip-info.org implies one has to change values in chan_sip.c to make it
work.
Shall I set T38FAX_VERSION_1 or leave T38FAX_VERSION_0 in
global_t38_capability ?
Source code says "This is default: NO MMR and JBIG trancoding, NO fill bit
removal, transferredTCF TCF, UDP FEC, Version 0 and 9600 max fax rate"
What does "Version 0" relates to in this aboxe line ?  MMR and JBIG
transcoding ?

2. A softphone like Zoiper is able to receive voice or fax calls. When
setting those values (see bellow) in sip.conf, does it mean :
"t38/udptl will be chosen if a fax signal is detected somewhere in the path.
If none, then alaw would be picked"

t38pt_udptl=yes
t38pt_rtp=no
t38pt_tcp=no