[asterisk-users] can anybody tell me how Magic jack can be so cheap ????

andrej at teksavvy.com andrej at teksavvy.com
Mon Feb 9 01:41:54 CST 2009

I can see another way of getting this done. If memory serves me right, there was a company in the name like “sunrocket”, or “skyrocket” or whatever. They used to offer service for $100/year unlimited as well. Then about 2 years down the road, they went under. And that was the real deal for them. The price for the dead company was much higher than for the alive company. Because all of the VoIP companies like Vonage, etc, was literally fighting for the customer lists. I think, this might be a possibility too… remember me, what was the company and who was the founder? Yeah that was SunRocket and been founded by Joyce Dorris and Paul Erickson.

But the MagicJack has a great deal of connections with XO, ComCast, talk4free, Ymax communications.

Talk4free.com does not have any presence beyond the NS servers for the YMax communications. Entire YMAX IP range /20 is managed by ComCast, and the webserver for the management console is on the XO network. The XO has a PBX’es available for businesses, and they do offer unlimited free local calling, and free site-to-site. As a result, you actually can get free local calls when you have enough POP (as a Ymax ,founded by the same guy as a magicjack, does). And if you get their international rates, you will understand, that these rates are quite expensive – at least 15%-25% even over the VoipJet. So when you put all these pieces of the puzzle together + advertisement during the call + datamining possibility from the calls, this company has created an enormous asset.

The idea is actually extremely brilliant. I’m just not sure how legal it is to “snoop” on the call, even if it’s in the agreement. I think, the law will prevail over any agreement, furthermore in their agreement, not only you wave the rights for the legal option, but you also set the statue bar for 1 year. And, forget the privacy of the call, here is something  more: “By installing the magicJack Software, you hereby agree to allow magicJack the option to automatically provide Updates from magicJack and/or its partners' servers.”

And as usual, the “normal use” clause: “If magicJack sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack's customers usage… <all sorts of bad things may happen>….”.

Besides their EULA only says about free calls in US, nothing about Canada…

Free cheese is only in traps and only for the second mouse.

--A.