[asterisk-users] Fwd: Nortel BCM - Call Accounting Interface?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Mon Dec 21 08:52:49 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 13:27 +0000, Steve Howes wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2009, at 12:04, Alex Bell wrote:
> >  Dear List,
> >       Need to know if anyone on this list has had any experience
> > with using the Nortel BCM 50 for Call Account Reporting using an IP
> > connection to a Linux / Asterisk interface? Presently, I have a BCM
> > 50 installed that uses a local Lenova Small Form Factor PC with a
> > windows XP / os that quit reporting because of a up-grade to the
> > Nortel reporting software. Nortel support is now telling me that my
> > PC needs to be up-graded for it to work with the newly patched
> > reporting software. Nortel as far as I know is a Windows only shop
> > and uses IIS and a utility to pull the data stream out of the BCM
> > and into the local pc that uses MSSql. What I'm looking to
> > accomplish is use a virtual machine running * and MySql to pull the
> > call data. I'm aware that Nortel use proprietary sw, but was
> > wondering if any Nortel Guru on the list has had any luck using *
> > and a 3rd party call accounting software to share?
> >  Thanks for any help, suggestions or directions on where to find
> > help you can provide.
> >  Al
> What is the Asterisk bit for? Cant you just pull the CDRs off the
> Nortel by whatever means their software did, then put that into some
> 3rd party software?

Ditto -

(a) Nortel hardware / software is proprietary garbage, and their tech
documents are as useful as toilet paper.  Nortel doesn't understand the
whole point of VoIP or Open Networks.
(b) Just use wireshark to sniff the traffic between their proprietary
software and the BCM to see what network standard they bastardized to
achieve their rudimentary and unreliable level of functionality - then
pick your favorite of Python/Mono/Perl... to just setup the same
connection and do the same thing.  That is one way to figure out there
hacked IMAP service that provides access to voice mail [when those
*&@^*&@$ could just publish a spec....]

I've unfortunately got 15 of those Nortel pieces of crap.