[asterisk-users] Can't get G.729 to work...

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Tue Dec 15 15:46:43 CST 2009

I don't know how FreePBX works, but with vanilla Asterisk you would do
something like this with your sip.conf:

[general]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g729

[localA]
callerid=Local phone A <100>
username=localA
secret=blahblah1

[localB]
callerid=Local phone B <101>
username=localB
secret=blah1blah

[remoteA]
callerid=Remote phone A <102>
disallow=all
allow=g729
username=remoteA
secret=123456

[remoteB]
callerid=Remote phone B <103>
disallow=all
allow=g729
username=remoteB
secret=654321

You can do this using templates as well, but this will make it easier to
understand. See the disallow/allow lines on the remote peers? Those
override the settings in the general portion of your sip.conf. With
these settings the local phones will use ulaw by default and allow g729
when needed.

This will do what you want for the most part. Local phones will use ulaw
for all calls between themselves and calls in and out of the PRI. Calls
from a remote phone to a local phone will use g.729 end to end. Calls
from a local phone to a remote phone will use ulaw between the local
phone and asterisk and g.729 between asterisk and the remote phone (this
is a limitation of asterisk's codec negotiation). Calls from remote
phones will use g.729 all the time.

I'm sure there is a way to do this through the freepbx gui, but like I
said, I have no experience with freepbx.

-Dave