[asterisk-users] Can't get G.729 to work...

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue Dec 15 13:53:47 CST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Ben Schorr wrote:

> O.K., interestingly enough when I call our extensions from my mobile
> phone it still seems to be using ULAW, but when they dial out it seems
> to be using G.729 now.
>
> Is there something in Dahdi that I need to configure so that inbound
> calls (from the PRI on a Digium TE205) use G.729 to get to the phones
> too?

A Dahdi channel over a PRI will always be ulaw - that is the encoding on
the PRI (at least in the US).  If your phones are using G.729 then
transcoding will be taking place within asterisk for the bridge between
the channels.

My guess is you are looking at the PRI channel.  There should be another
channel for the phone.  That should always be G.729 now.

Cheers,