[asterisk-users] Versions of Asterisk 1.6

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:51:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Cyprus VoIP<voipcy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are both stable enough?

Stable enough for whom? You are the only one who can answer that question.

> Is T.38 Fax supported on both?

Yes, with caveats. There continue to be a number of T.38 patches going
into various releases. I would call T.38 a moving target. Your
particular arrangement may work great with a version from more than a
year ago, or you may have problems. Only you can answer whether T.38
will work with your configuration.

I can tell you that I've been having problems with various version of
Cisco IOS and T.38 on asterisk. I had a stable configuration fax-wise,
but I had to upgrade the IOS because of a Cisco bug, and my T.38 has
never been the same since. It's hard to blame asterisk for that
problem. In fact, if you read through the T.38 bugs in Cisco IOS
release notes it makes asterisk T.38 look solid by comparison. If
downgrading didn't make my router freeze I'd downgrade the IOS.

>If yes, which spandsp is supported?

You are best off reading app_fax.c for details to that answer. I'm
using spandsp-0.0.6pre7 with 1.6.0.13

>I saw on voip-info.org that version 6 is not supported, but this information might be outdated.

Do you want to link to where it says that?

Version 0.0.6 patch-level support has been around since at least early
2009 in SVN, but whether it was in a particular release branch, well.
You know. If voip-info categorically says spandsp-0.0-6 is NOT
supported under any release, that is incorrect, but it is correct that
previous versions required 0.0.5 series.