[asterisk-users] bad(?) TDM400 card?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Aug 8 14:06:58 CDT 2009

I just had to move all my disk drives and PCI cards, including the
Digium TDM400P, into a new box when the motherboard died. Now that the
new box is up and running, my FXS ports no longer work although the FXO
port does. I am hoping someone can help me diagnose and debug. I am
running Fedora 8, asterisk asterisk-1.4.21, and zaptel-1.4.9 . Yes, I
realize that this is old software and that zaptel has been replaced with
dahdi, but it's not THAT old; I only installed it two years ago and it
has run flawlessly ever since. To upgrade the OS, asterisk, my
configurations, and switching from zaptel to dahdi would be a huge job
that I would like to avoid if I possibly can. The installation was
stable and configured just the way we want it, I really don't want to
start over from scratch until I've at least had a try at debugging this
problem. Of course, if it turns out to be a hardware problem then all
the time spent upgrading would be wasted, so I have to at least
determine that much first.

Here is the zapata.conf:
[trunkgroups]
; none here

[channels]
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
immediate=no

; house phones
context=internal
signalling=fxo_ks
channel => 3
channel => 2

; infohigh fax modem
context=internal
signalling=fxo_ks
echocancel=no
echocancelwhenbridged=no
echotraining=no
threewaycalling=no
channel => 1

; Qworst line
context=incoming
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
echotraining=yes
rxgain=10.0
txgain=1.2
signalling=fxs_ks
faxdetect=incoming
channel => 4

The error when asterisk starts (in /var/log/asterisk/messages) is:

[Aug  8 13:00:11] ERROR[4197] chan_zap.c: Unable to open channel 3: No
such device or address
here = 0, tmp->channel = 3, channel = 3
[Aug  8 13:00:11] ERROR[4197] chan_zap.c: Unable to register channel '3'

If I comment out the "channel => 3" line, then the error occurs on
channel 2, and if I comment out both channels 2 and 3, then the error
occurs on channel 1. If I comment out all the channels except 4, the
error message goes away. In all cases, only the FXO port on channel 4
actually works.

I did check to make sure the card is plugged in to the power supply.

ztscan appears to show all the ports:

# ztscan
[1]
active=yes
alarms=OK
description=Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 1
name=WCTDM/0
manufacturer=Digium
devicetype=Wildcard TDM400P REV I
location=PCI Bus 06 Slot 07
basechan=1
totchans=4
irq=16
type=analog
port=1,FXS
port=2,FXS
port=3,FXS
port=4,FXO

lsmod shows this:

wctdm24xxp            113024  0
wctdm                  36812  0
zaptel                186916  6 wctdm24xxp,wctdm
crc_ccitt               6081  1 zaptel

What can I do to determine if I'm looking at a hardware or software
problem? Is it a known kind of hardware failure that could affect all
three FXS ports but not the FXO port?

Thanks in advance for any help,
--Greg