[asterisk-users] Asterisk and E1 Cards

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Sun Aug 2 17:53:16 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Tarek Sawah <tareksawah at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Greetings List,

Greetings

> i have a new question regarding Asterisk and E1 Cards
> a client of mine is requiring an Asterisk Server with 2 E1s.
> the scenario is the following
> they want 400 extensions to register with the system.. and required 64
> concurrent calls.

Unless I am mistaking, or you are including internal calls, 2 E1 would
handle 62 or 60 if PRI.  400 extensions should be no problem.  On the same
LAN?

> added to it that they are expecting the system to have an IVR to do some DB
> querying.
> the setup I have in mind is a Core2duo Server with 3 GB Ram and a Raid0 and
> a TE220B card.

Hard to say which would be better, two lower spec (cheaper) boxen setup
identically, one as a cold swap.  Backup DB, conf, and whatever, nightly.  I
have done this for many customers.

RAID 0 is basically useless for Asterisk and sets yourself up for double
chance of disk failure.  RAID 1 is the way to go.

> we have not faced this need from a client as we usually provide SIP
> Services only.. so my questions are the following
> 1- how many calls my setup will be able to handle? and if it won't handle 2
> E1s what is the best server i can get for that?

You can handle that easily unless you are doing heavy codecs like G729 or
recording every call.

> 2- E1 supports Ulaw and Alaw codecs so we won't be needing G729 nor G723
> encoding and decoding? or we will have to use such codecs? (I'm concirned
> about the System resources)

You should have said that first ;)  A pentium 4 2.8ghz could handle this
without breaking a sweat.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro