[asterisk-users] Asterisk and E1 Cards

Tarek Sawah tareksawah at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 20:00:27 CDT 2009

do you suggest buying a licensed Software from Digium?

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:53:16 -0400
From: stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk and E1 Cards

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Tarek Sawah <tareksawah at hotmail.com> wrote:

Greetings List,

Greetings
 i have a new question regarding Asterisk and E1 Cards

a client of mine is requiring an Asterisk Server with 2 E1s.
the scenario is the following
they want 400 extensions to register with the system.. and required 64 concurrent calls.

Unless I am mistaking, or you are including internal calls, 2 E1 would handle 62 or 60 if PRI.  400 extensions should be no problem.  On the same LAN?

 added to it that they are expecting the system to have an IVR to do some DB querying.

the setup I have in mind is a Core2duo Server with 3 GB Ram and a Raid0 and a TE220B card.
Hard to say which would be better, two lower spec (cheaper) boxen setup identically, one as a cold swap.  Backup DB, conf, and whatever, nightly.  I have done this for many customers.

RAID 0 is basically useless for Asterisk and sets yourself up for double chance of disk failure.  RAID 1 is the way to go.

we have not faced this need from a client as we usually provide SIP Services only.. so my questions are the following
1- how many calls my setup will be able to handle? and if it won't handle 2 E1s what is the best server i can get for that?

You can handle that easily unless you are doing heavy codecs like G729 or recording every call.

2- E1 supports Ulaw and Alaw codecs so we won't be needing G729 nor G723 encoding and decoding? or we will have to use such codecs? (I'm concirned about the System resources)

You should have said that first ;)  A pentium 4 2.8ghz could handle this without breaking a sweat.

Thank you in Advance for your help and support.
regards
Tarek

--
Thanks,