[asterisk-users] Asterisk and E1 Cards

Tarek Sawah tareksawah at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 17:37:04 CDT 2009

Greetings List,
i have a new question regarding Asterisk and E1 Cards
a client of mine is requiring an Asterisk Server with 2 E1s.
the scenario is the following
they want 400 extensions to register with the system.. and required 64 concurrent calls.
added to it that they are expecting the system to have an IVR to do some DB querying.
the setup I have in mind is a Core2duo Server with 3 GB Ram and a Raid0 and a TE220B card.
we have not faced this need from a client as we usually provide SIP Services only.. so my questions are the following
1- how many calls my setup will be able to handle? and if it won't handle 2 E1s what is the best server i can get for that?
2- E1 supports Ulaw and Alaw codecs so we won't be needing G729 nor G723 encoding and decoding? or we will have to use such codecs? (I'm concirned about the System resources)
Thank you in Advance for your help and support.
regards
Tarek