[asterisk-users] What do I need to connect landline calls without telephony hardware?

don rhummy donrhummy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 01:52:21 CDT 2009

I'm sorry, I think I'm not being clear.

I want to know, for asterisk to work at all (i.e. for it to be able to connect calls to landlines, cell phones, make outgoing calls) do I need anything beyond a server and internet connection? Do I need a "gateway" of some sort? Do i need to either have a piece of hardware that connects to a phone line or pay a company to let me route through them?

I just don't think i can put asterisk on a server and suddenly make outgoing calls to landlines, right?