[asterisk-users] What do I need to connect landline calls without telephony hardware?

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Thu Apr 30 02:56:43 CDT 2009

On 30/04/2009 6:52 p.m., don rhummy wrote:

> I'm sorry, I think I'm not being clear.
>
> I want to know, for asterisk to work at all (i.e. for it to be able to connect calls to landlines, cell phones, make outgoing calls) do I need anything beyond a server and internet connection? Do I need a "gateway" of some sort? Do i need to either have a piece of hardware that connects to a phone line or pay a company to let me route through them?
>
> I just don't think i can put asterisk on a server and suddenly make outgoing calls to landlines, right?

You can sign up to make calls through a VoIP provider.

A VoIP provider is a company that you connect to over the Internet.  You
pay them some money for each minute of a call that you make (although
some do monthly "unlimited" fees).

There are many different VoIP providers, and they all have different
prices and are located in different place around the world.

Normally it makes sense to choose one that is close to you.

You can then use Asterisk (and a bit of simple programming) to get the
VoIP provider to call you and the customer who uses the website to click.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director