[asterisk-users] Asterisk & EC2

Aryan Ameri info at ameri.me
Mon Apr 27 21:39:39 CDT 2009

On Tue Apr 28 2009 09:19:56 GMT+1000 (EST) Eric Chamberlain <eric at rf.com> wrote:

> The original Feodra 8 image came from the Amazon EC2 team, they
> optimized it to run in EC2.  I chose the Amazon fc8 image, because I'm
> not comfortable getting OS images from third-parties.  When Amazon
> releases new images, I'll update the guide.  You might want to
> consider installing fc8 then upgrading to a newer release.

Thanks for the explanation for using FC8 Eric. It makes sense.

You might also look into Ubuntu now. Ubuntu has an official EC2 release now,
and they publish their AMIs and maintain them.

> To build DAHDI kernel modules, all you have to do is setup your OS of
> choice to use a build environment that matches the Amazon kernel you
> are using.
>

> Latency is pretty route specific.  Amazon has good bandwidth, but I
> would avoid proxying media if possible.
>
> We haven't had any reliability problems with EC2 hosting our Asterisk
> real-time application servers.

That's good to know. It's good to know that Asterisk is being used in a
production environment in EC2.

And thanks for the guideline.

Cheers
--