[asterisk-users] Asterisk & EC2

ContactTel Business lists at contacttel.com
Mon Apr 27 18:38:47 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Eric
Chamberlain
Sent: April-27-09 7:20 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk & EC2

On Apr 25, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> The second one, is built on a custom Fedora 8 image. The steps are not
> repeatable on any other distro, not even a stock official Fedora 8
> one. Fedora
> 8 itself is long EOLed and as such, not something I'd want to use on a
> production server. Dahdi compilation as described on that guide
> doesn't work
> on CentOS or Ubuntu or Debian.

Aryan,

The original Feodra 8 image came from the Amazon EC2 team, they
optimized it to run in EC2.  I chose the Amazon fc8 image, because I'm
not comfortable getting OS images from third-parties.  When Amazon
releases new images, I'll update the guide.  You might want to
consider installing fc8 then upgrading to a newer release.

To build DAHDI kernel modules, all you have to do is setup your OS of
choice to use a build environment that matches the Amazon kernel you
are using.

> Besides, I asked about anecdotal usage experiences running Asterisk
> on EC2.
> About whether latency is an issue if extensions are outside the EC2
> availability zone. About reliability of EC2 when used to host a real-
> time
> application server. Not just an installation guideline.

Latency is pretty route specific.  Amazon has good bandwidth, but I
would avoid proxying media if possible.

We haven't had any reliability problems with EC2 hosting our Asterisk
real-time application servers.

--
Eric Chamberlain, Founder
RF.com - http://RF.com/

You do realize that your initials are EC ;) so amazon is your next logical
step

BTW trying EC2 for 1 week now, and its running better at 1 unit, then most
dedicated boxes out there.