[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Apr 20 03:03:53 CDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Yahya Mohammad wrote:

> I prefer the Nokia E-series wifi enabled cell phones that have a SIP
> client builtin. I have an E61i and it works great in a wireless hotspot.
> In places where SIP won't work for some reason, I register the phone to
> asterisk on my laptop which then converts the SIP channel to IAX.

How did you do this? Were you using Wi-Fi to talk to the laptop (which was
using Wi-Fi to talk to the world?)

> An idea is to write SIP to IAX conversion server software for the phone
> itself using free libraries which I imagine should be easier that
> building your own embedded hardware.

A native Symbian IAX client for the Nokia which would use Wi-Fi (or packet
data connection!) would be the way forward. Ignore SIP entirely. The
mobile networks don't like you running VoIP over their data streams
though, however they don't seem to block it, but it is mentioned in the
T&C's - at least for the UK networks I've used.

Here's an amusing thought: My Nokia E90 has a SIP client built-in, and it
doesn't support the GSM codec - only G711 and G729! I once used it via
Wi-Fi when in a conference call - the call lasted 45 minutes and it nearly
exhusted the battery and the phone was very hot by the end of it (I was
using a headset to the phone!) Good for quick calls, not yet for daily use
I reckon.

Gordon