[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

Yahya Mohammad mfyahya at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 02:02:12 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:52:51AM -0400, John Rogers wrote:
> Most ATAs I've seen are primarily SOC (System On Chip) implementations.
> I've never really taken one apart, but perhaps now is a good time.  I
> recently also purchased a QuickPhones QA-342 wifi rechargeable handset:
> http://www.voipsupply.com/quickphones-qa-342-wifi-sip-phone?utm_source=quickphones-wifi-cat&utm_medium=banner
>
> I was curious to try this out, even though I knew it was SIP only.  In the
> office, it works GREAT - LONG battery life, good reception, but no IAX
> support.  A good IAX ATA and IAX protocol stack in a phone like the QA-342
> would be a hands down winner all around.
>
> Immagine, being able to roam anywhere with a device like this or ATA and not
> having to fuss with SIP/NAT.
>
> I wish I had knowledge on building embedded devices, else I'd build my own
> by now...

I prefer the Nokia E-series wifi enabled cell phones that have a SIP
client builtin. I have an E61i and it works great in a wireless hotspot.
In places where SIP won't work for some reason, I register the phone to
asterisk on my laptop which then converts the SIP channel to IAX.

An idea is to write SIP to IAX conversion server software for the phone
itself using free libraries which I imagine should be easier that
building your own embedded hardware.