[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

Yahya Mohammad mfyahya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:52:48 CDT 2009

> > In places where SIP won't work for some reason, I register the phone to
> > asterisk on my laptop which then converts the SIP channel to IAX.
>
> How did you do this? Were you using Wi-Fi to talk to the laptop (which was
> using Wi-Fi to talk to the world?)

Yes, that's how I do it.

> A native Symbian IAX client for the Nokia which would use Wi-Fi (or packet
> data connection!) would be the way forward. Ignore SIP entirely. The
> mobile networks don't like you running VoIP over their data streams
> though, however they don't seem to block it, but it is mentioned in the
> T&C's - at least for the UK networks I've used.

Yes, that would be better, but a SIP to IAX adapter on the phone would
be less work. The SIP client just needs to register to localhost. No
need to develop a user interface for a separate IAX client.

Btw, there are other options such as Fring, which I believe uses a
proprietary protocol from the cellphone to Fring servers, which is then
converted to SIP, Skype, Yahoo etc.

I live in the middle east, and the state run ISPs block SIP using deep
packet inspection technology. Moreover mobile data packages are so
expensive that it's cheaper to make a cellular call.

> Here's an amusing thought: My Nokia E90 has a SIP client built-in, and it
> doesn't support the GSM codec - only G711 and G729! I once used it via
> Wi-Fi when in a conference call - the call lasted 45 minutes and it nearly
> exhusted the battery and the phone was very hot by the end of it (I was
> using a headset to the phone!) Good for quick calls, not yet for daily use
> I reckon.

I noticed no such issues on my E61i. Maybe you had a weak wifi signal
and the phone ramped up its radio Tx power?