[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

John Rogers john at wizworks.net
Sat Apr 11 10:52:51 CDT 2009

Most ATAs I've seen are primarily SOC (System On Chip) implementations.
I've never really taken one apart, but perhaps now is a good time.  I
recently also purchased a QuickPhones QA-342 wifi rechargeable handset:
http://www.voipsupply.com/quickphones-qa-342-wifi-sip-phone?utm_source=quickphones-wifi-cat&utm_medium=banner

I was curious to try this out, even though I knew it was SIP only.  In the
office, it works GREAT - LONG battery life, good reception, but no IAX
support.  A good IAX ATA and IAX protocol stack in a phone like the QA-342
would be a hands down winner all around.

Immagine, being able to roam anywhere with a device like this or ATA and not
having to fuss with SIP/NAT.

I wish I had knowledge on building embedded devices, else I'd build my own
by now...

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:50:34PM -0400, John Rogers wrote:
> > I *was* using the X100P FXS ATA but they discontinued it last year in
> late
> > October.  Several inquiries into when they will re-release/replace it
> with
> > another IAX ATA have gone unanswered.
> >
> > Atcom.cn is a MFG in china with no USA point of presence - I looked into
> > them, but they don't have any resellers here in the US.  I'd like to try
> > source something in the US if I can, that way my chances of support may
> be
> > better should something go wrong.  Also it doesn't appear that there is
> an
> > option to "buy" on the atcom.cn site.
> >
> > It seems there are very few (if any) options for IAX ATAs and that's a
> sad
> > thing, since IAX is far more scalable then SIP and much easier to get
> > through firewalls (just forward port 4569) than SIP is.  I've been very
> > frustrated trying to make SIP work through our Monowall firewall without
> any
> > success and with MUCH frustration and aggrevation!  IAX is so much nicer
> -
> > wish OEMs would start offering this.
>
> What would it take to make one?
>
> --
>               Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com<jabber%3Atzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com  iax:guest at local.xorcom.com/tzafrir

- John
Website: http://wizworks.net
Blog: http://news.wizworks.net for all the latest!
Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wizworks
Sign the petition to Apple to enable iPod support on Linux!:
http://www.petitiononline.com/eb221998/petition.html