[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Sat Apr 18 09:27:15 CDT 2009

Atis Lezdins wrote:

> Ok, our setup is the following:
>
> Inbound call arrives from SIP provider to Asterisk 1.4.19
> Asterisk Dials Callweaver (1.2.0 as I recall) on localhost
> CallWeaver uses RxFax, which causes call to be switched to T.38,
> Asterisk does T.38 passtrough.
> CallWeaver executes shell script at the end which emails the .tiff
> file to recipient.
>
> User prints document to Hylafax Desktop client.
> Document is sent to Hylafax server
> Hylafax executes shell script specified in SendFaxCmd.
> Shell script creates callfile for CallWeaver
> CallWeaver dials destination number to Asterisk
> Asterisk forwards call to SIP operator
> CallWeaver uses TxFax to send .tiff file already generated by CallWeaver.
>
> As we are currently on stable 1.4 version, we chose to use CallWeaver
> for this, but we plan to simplify whole setup when migrating to
> Asterisk 1.6, which would take over CallWeaver functions.

I will try this later, it looks straight forward enough. Does Asterisk
1.6 SendFax command autonegotiate T.38 (in the way callweaver does)?

Can I use a faxmachine in a linecard to terminate to T.38 on a remote
host in asterisk 1.6? (Well I suppose I can put it in it's own context,
use ReceiveFax to make a tiff, and SendFax the image afterwards, but
that does seem clumsy).

I guess in Callweaver you'd use the T38Gateway command.

Is there anything of interest in digiums new Fax For Asterisk software?
(Or is it just a version of ReceiveFax and SendFax that doesn't rely on
spandsp?)