[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 10:27:43 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Kenyon
<digium at sanguinarius.co.uk> wrote:
> I will try this later, it looks straight forward enough. Does Asterisk
> 1.6 SendFax command autonegotiate T.38 (in the way callweaver does)?

Yes. Of course assuming that it's talking to a device that is T.38 capable.

> Can I use a faxmachine in a linecard to terminate to T.38 on a remote
> host in asterisk 1.6? (Well I suppose I can put it in it's own context,
> use ReceiveFax to make a tiff, and SendFax the image afterwards, but
> that does seem clumsy).

Analog fax on analog fx connection in asterisk system can already
speak fax and make a tiff directly.  Mount a network share if you want
the file somewhere else. I don't see how that case would involve SIP
at all.

If you're talking about a T.38 gateway converting between SIP and
analogue I used Cisco gear as the gateway. But I don't know of any
technical reason asterisk cannot act as a T.38 gateway.

> I guess in Callweaver you'd use the T38Gateway command.

No idea. Never used callweaver.

> Is there anything of interest in digiums new Fax For Asterisk software?

I think everybody has pretty much just read the press release. Haven't
heard any reports of people using it yet.