[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 17:46:27 CDT 2009

Atis Lezdins wrote:
>>> Could You explain this? I really don't understand Your point.
>> On voip-info there is a how to using T38modem. Congrats to anyone who can get
>> it working.
>
> Well, i initially wrote that howto, after numerous hours of
> unsuccessful compilations and wrong versions, but T38modem didn't
> prove to work with our provider. Later, one Russian guy managet to get
> this working with he's provider.

That may explain why I couldn't get it to work :-).

I have accounts with 2 providers that are known to support T.38, the

At the moment, the most notable error I'm getting is on startup t38 reports:

error loading avcodec - avcodec: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

> That's why i put CallWeaver (which basically has the same T.38 stack
> as Asterisk 1.6) in it's place.

I shold have another play with that, I have a box dedicated to it after all.

>>> Why would the audio data path would be necessary? In our setup
>>> CallWeaver effectively acts as modem, and talks T.38 with provider.
>> Fax information data path to be pedantic.
>
> Data from Hylafax to CallWeaver is passed as TIFF image - thus no
> data/quality loss.

How does this work? What do you use as the modem in hylafax?