[asterisk-users] Asterisk-beginner : cannot make phonecalls using Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Apr 13 15:11:05 CDT 2009

Hi

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:18:58PM +0200, jonas kellens wrote:

> I pick up the phone of the BT201 and dial 211... nothing happens.
> I pick up the phone of the GXP1200 and dial 210... nothing happens.
>
> I would love to have your feedback on this. Where could this problem be
> situated ?

Your basic mistake at troubleshooting this is trying to test two things
at the same time. Let's test them separately.

1. A call from Asterisk to the phones:

In the Asterisk CLI:

  originate SIP/BT201 application playback demo-instruct

And the other one:

  originate SIP/GXP1200 application playback demo-instruct

Alternatively, use the echo-test aplication:

  originate SIP/BT201 application echo

2. Next, test calling from the phones to Asterisk. Add those two extensions
to [intern]

exten => 250,1,Answer
exten => 250,n,Playback(demo-instruct)
exten => 250,n,Hangup

exten => 251,1,Answer
exten => 251,1,Echo
exten => 251,1,Hangup

Make sure you reload for that to take effect, and then try dialing 250
or 251.

Another useful tools: 'sip debug'. It tends to generate a very noisy
output that is normally not readable for mere mortals. However it does
indicate that "something is happening". If you call from a remote SIP
phone and there's nothing on the SIP debug, the problem is probably with
the settings of the phone, as it is not getting to you.

Last and not least: a sanity check as you "see nothing": what is the
output of: 'logger show channels' ?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com