[asterisk-users] OT: real 2 line phone vs. 1 line and call waiting

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Sep 30 16:55:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 08:23 -0500, Lyle Giese wrote:

> 1) a two line phone can register with two different * servers or sip
> carriers.

Indeed.  But if I only had the one * server which itself registered to
my carriers...

> 2) It's easy for both incoming and outgoing to separate business from
> personal calls. (ie line1 is personal, line2 is business)

Yeah.  Given this is a home office phone though, that I even route the
house calls to it is just a convenience for when I am in the home
office.  IOW, if I'm in the office, I almost always want to answer it
vs. if I am at a personal/house phone, indeed, I may not want to answer
business calls, but this is not the case...

> 3) It's easy for a two line phone to register to two different accounts
> on * and then subsubscribe to two different MWI's on different VM
> boxes

Ahhh.  Now this is an interesting possibility.

> (again goes back to seperating business from personal or your VM
> from your significate other's VM)

Ahhh.  Indeed.

This use case is worth considering.  Although, really, I want to migrate
to VM in IMAP so that I don't even (have to) use the phone to know there
is VM or listen to/delete it.  I would use my e-mail client which is my
preferred interface.

In any case, this one is an interesting benefit.

Not sure I'm convinced enough yet though.  That said, thanks for the
input Lyle, I really appreciate your thoughts on that.

b.