[asterisk-users] OT: real 2 line phone vs. 1 line and call waiting

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Sep 30 08:23:54 CDT 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I'm looking into getting a new phone and wondering what the difference
> in functionality is between a single line phone with call waiting and a
> real 2 line phone (either a real SIP phone or an analog 2 line phone and
> a 2 port ATA) is.  Why would I want the real 2 lines vs. just being able
> to take an incoming call via call-waiting?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

1) a two line phone can register with two different * servers or sip
carriers.

2) It's easy for both incoming and outgoing to separate business from
personal calls. (ie line1 is personal, line2 is business)

3) It's easy for a two line phone to register to two different accounts
on * and then subsubscribe to two different MWI's on different VM
boxes(again goes back to seperating business from personal or your VM
from your significate other's VM)

That's just off the top of my head.

Lyle