[asterisk-users] OT: real 2 line phone vs. 1 line and call waiting

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Sep 30 17:29:23 CDT 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 08:23 -0500, Lyle Giese wrote:
>

>> 1) a two line phone can register with two different * servers or sip
>> carriers.
>>

> Indeed.  But if I only had the one * server which itself registered to
> my carriers...
>

>> 2) It's easy for both incoming and outgoing to separate business from
>> personal calls. (ie line1 is personal, line2 is business)
>>

> Yeah.  Given this is a home office phone though, that I even route the
> house calls to it is just a convenience for when I am in the home
> office.  IOW, if I'm in the office, I almost always want to answer it
> vs. if I am at a personal/house phone, indeed, I may not want to answer
> business calls, but this is not the case...
>

>> 3) It's easy for a two line phone to register to two different accounts
>> on * and then subsubscribe to two different MWI's on different VM
>> boxes
>>

> Ahhh.  Now this is an interesting possibility.
>

>> (again goes back to seperating business from personal or your VM
>> from your significate other's VM)
>>

> Ahhh.  Indeed.
>
> This use case is worth considering.  Although, really, I want to migrate
> to VM in IMAP so that I don't even (have to) use the phone to know there
> is VM or listen to/delete it.  I would use my e-mail client which is my
> preferred interface.

I have never been convinced that VM via email is a convenence.  You have
to use the loudspeakers on the PC or headphones, which is not as
convenient as a handset.  Not to mention the privacy issues/problems
using loudspeakers for VM.  Do you want your kids/wife overhearing your
customer that is upset with you?

I find that the email notification is more than enough to know who
called and many times why without listening to the actual message and
deciding how urgent it is to listen to the message or deal with it.