[asterisk-users] Asterisk Documentation now on voip-info.org Wiki

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Tue Sep 30 10:32:41 CDT 2008

Hey All -

Per a discussion earlier, I've setup a small cron job on one of my
servers that automatically updates voip-info.org wiki with the latest
and greatest Asterisk Documentation, straight from svn (specifically,
the /branches/$version/doc folder for each version.) The files are
located under 'Asterisk Documentation' on voip-info.org:

Link to the index page:

     http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Documentation

It currently polls the following Asterisk branches from subversion:
     * 1.2
     * 1.4
     * 1.6.0
     * 1.6.1

---------------------------------------
Let me know what you think. If anyone has any questions or comments,
please do let me know. Oh, and many thanks to James Thompson of
voip-info.org for his quick response to my questions about an API for
updating pages. His help was invaluable.

---------------------------------------
Technical Specifics about the Cron Job:
---------------------------------------

The cron job runs daily (about 4am EST) and does an 'svn update' for
each version's 'doc' folder. If there are any changes, the job uploads
ONLY the 'text/plain' files in the folder to the wiki (prefixing the
pages with 'Asterisk Documentation '+$version+' '+$filename, so
/branches/1.6.1/doc/callfiles.txt becomes 'Asterisk Documentation 1.6.1
callfiles.txt':
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Documentation+1.6.1+callfiles.txt

Note that right now, the files are just passed straight to the wiki and
quoted in a '~pp~' block (essentially, a <pre> block) - formatting can
be applied later if requested - and if presented with a reliable
formatting algorithm.

Let me know what you all think. Cheers!
-josiah

--