[asterisk-users] Split incoming call volume across queues on several asterisk servers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Sep 26 21:37:29 CDT 2008

You can set up a proxy to round-robin/load-balance the incoming calls
across three servers.

If you need to do this with a view to queue utilisation, an outside
process can be set up to mediate this via the Manager API and provide
this information to the proxy process in real time.

A proxy can also be set up to roll calls over to another Asterisk server
if that server returns an error status code because all the agents are
unavailable, such as 486 Busy or temporarily unavailable.

You can, also, of course, do this in the Asterisk dial plan itself -
fiddle with the timeout values on the Queue() app.  However, in this
paradigm, the first Asterisk box is going to have to cross-connect the
call to others in the series, in a daisy chain.  But if you can avoid
media handling in such scenarios (i.e. use re-INVITEs), that shouldn't
be too bad.