[asterisk-users] Setting up Asterisk to make calls using a VoIP provider and the regular phone line

logan logan04x at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 00:33:28 CDT 2008

Thanks for the response, Nhadie.

I don't want to setup an Asterisk box in Canada.

For being able to call me, the Asterisk box in India would register to a SIP
provider (like the 2nd link you gave), and dial out the calls using it. I
just want that we should be able to dial calls using a hardphone so my
Mother could ring me up by just pressing #1 key on the set. I wanted to know
what hardware I would need to connect my Asterisk box to a hardphone (which
brand and all as there are so many options out there).

Secondly, the Asterisk box in India would have a static IP, so I could
connect to it (or Register in SIP terms) and dial out calls using my
softphone over here. I would like to know what hardware I need to tell my
Asterisk box (in India) to dial out the calls using the telephone line
connected to it.

This video talks about some of the stuff I would need, but I want some
second opinions on it -
http://www.videotutorialzone.com/voip-voice-over-ip/asterisk/introduction-to-the-asterisk-open-source-pbx-telephony-platform.html.

And I would like to do all this with SIP as I'm familiar with it.

Thanks a lot!