[asterisk-users] Setting up Asterisk to make calls using a VoIP provider and the regular phone line

Nhadie nhadie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 03:52:50 CDT 2008

Hi Logan,

on your sip.conf  you define the sip trunk (which is the voip provider)
e.g.

[sipprovider]
host=XX.XX.XX.XX
type=peer

and you have to define a user for your mother's extension, so her phone
can register to your asterisk and also your extension:

[1000]
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=dial-out

[1001]
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=dial-out

from india dialing out:
and on your extensions.conf

define a context:

[dial-out]
exten => _*1,1,Dial(SIP/yourmobilenumber at sipprovider)

i suggested * instead of #, i think # is a special character on the
asterisk dial plan.
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Dialplan+Patterns)

the format of yourmobilenumber depends on how the sip provider accepts
the digit sent to them.

from canada to india dialing out to pstn, you will be needing an fxo
card where you will plugin a line you could use to call locally in india.

you will need to add something like this on the dial-out context
exten => _X.,1,Dial(ZAP/1/{EXTEN})
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+Zap+channels
)

there are a lot of fxo cards available, there are also cards with
fxs+fxo on it if you really want a phone directly connected to your
asterisk box.

hth

regards,
nhadie