[asterisk-users] How to check mailbox exists (Received SIP subscribe for peer without mailbox)

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:02:39 CDT 2008

2008/9/4 Rob Hillis <rob at hillis.dyndns.org>

> Olivier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm receiving this :
> > [Aug 28 02:25:16] NOTICE[5895] chan_sip.c: Received SIP subscribe for
> > peer without mailbox: 9163
> >
> > I've read this :
> > http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-May/211701.html
> >
> > I typed this:
> > asterisk -rx "reload"
> > asterisk -rx "voicemail show users"
> >
> > ... and got :
> > default    9163  john doe                     0
> >
> > This "default ..." line is 100% similar to others.
>
> Chances are that the mailbox line in sip.conf for this extension doesn't
> include the correct mailbox context.  Make sure that
> "mailbox=9163 at default" is in the section of sip.conf for this extension
> and reload.

Hi,

You're right :  few minutes after posting this question, I saw  that
"mailbox=9163" line was missing and that adding this line solved this.

Anyway, my 1st question remains as "voicemail show users" was somehow
misleading for me :
- on one hand, I've a notice telling "Received SIP subscribe for peer
without mailbox: 9163"
- on the other hand, "voicemail show users" shows something I understood as
"mailbox exists".

Now that root cause is found, would you say that warnings or CLI should have
been different ?

Obviously, MWI subscriptions must come from SIP hardphones (at least those
supporting MWI feature).
So in this case, "Received SIP subscribe for peer without mailbox: 9163"
rather means "Asterisk is receiving from SIP/9163, subscriptions to MWI, but
nothing in peer SIP/9163 settings is describing which mailbox should be the
scope of such subscriptions".

Do you agree ?