[asterisk-users] How to check mailbox exists (Received SIP subscribe for peer without mailbox)

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 4 09:41:59 CDT 2008

Olivier wrote:
> Now that root cause is found, would you say that warnings or CLI
> should have been different ?
>
> Obviously, MWI subscriptions must come from SIP hardphones (at least
> those supporting MWI feature).
> So in this case, "Received SIP subscribe for peer without mailbox:
> 9163" rather means "Asterisk is receiving from SIP/9163, subscriptions
> to MWI, but nothing in peer SIP/9163 settings is describing which
> mailbox should be the scope of such subscriptions".
>
> Do you agree ?

Actually if you read the log entry, it can easily be interpreted that
way.  Log entries really are a delicate balancing act - you need to
provide enough information to determine what the problem is without
becoming too wordy.  The only real way I could see to improve that log
entry would be to say "Received SIP subscribe for peer without
*configured* mailbox: 9163"  The log correctly identifies it as a
"notice" since it's not an error condition.  Any log entry longer than
this would bloat log files even further than they already are - and
Asterisk log files on even a moderately busy system are already about as
easy to follow as your average plate of spaghetti.