[asterisk-users] G722 and Asterisk 1.6

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 17:13:54 CDT 2008

Michael Graves wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:19:40 +0100, Thomas Kenyon wrote:
>
>> I can't speak for the GXP1200, but with the GXP2000s I have, you cannot
>> tell the difference between G.711 and G.722.
>>
>> The only Polycom I have is an IP501 (that I bought to test, found to be
>> solid, reliable, feature barren and awkward). Sadly this is very limited
>> wrt its codec support. (supports even fewer than cheap chinese handsets).
>
> Hardware phones usually support fewer codecs than soft phones, almost
> all support at least G.711u/a and G.729 families.

I don't know about that, the Grandstream phones support 8 different
codecs, the old chinese PA168-based phones supported 6, as do the newer
AR1688-based handsets, the linksys SPA922 has 4, the SPA962 has 5, the
old Snom 300 has 7 (including G.711).

The IP501 has 3. I know it's a considerably better handset than say the
PA168 or AR1688-based handsets, but then they are $45 and the 501 is £125.

I'd also be more sold on it if it had half the features of the GXP2000
(which is only a little over half the price).