[asterisk-users] Blank Voicemail.Conf after Password Change

Leah Newmark lnewmark at capalon.com
Wed Oct 29 12:13:56 CDT 2008

Hi,

For a few weeks now, our asterisk server has been experiencing something
very odd.
 From time to time, voicemail.conf would go blank. We finally tracked it
down to happening when someone attempts to change their password.
It seems the file is touched, but not written to, and we're left with a
blank voicemail file.

Permissions seem to be fine:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 12707 2008-10-29 12:14
/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

Asterisk is running as asterisk:
24560 ?        Ssl  409:34 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk

We're at a loss of what is going wrong, and how to resolve it.

Meanwhile,
*I don't think it's possible to not allow password changes (correct me
if I'm wrong).
*Using externpass to run a script that will copy a backup voicemail file
to voicemail.conf could potentially work, but it won't save password
changes.

Nothing generated from voicemail is showing up in the asterisk logs, nor
does the console show any error after changing a password.

Any assistance on this strange behavior is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Leah Newmark
VoIP Programmer
Capalon Communications