[asterisk-users] Blank Voicemail.Conf after Password Change

Robert Lister robl at linx.net
Fri Oct 31 19:22:30 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:13:56PM -0400, Leah Newmark wrote:

> From time to time, voicemail.conf would go blank. We finally tracked it
> down to happening when someone attempts to change their password.
> It seems the file is touched, but not written to, and we're left with a
> blank voicemail file.
>
> Permissions seem to be fine:
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 12707 2008-10-29 12:14
> /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

I believe what it does it create a new file called voicemail.conf.new in the
same directory and then copies it into place, so worth checking the
permissions on the directory as well, that asterisk can write to it.

> Asterisk is running as asterisk:
> 24560 ?        Ssl  409:34 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk

I see your asterisk is running "-U asterisk" but this ps output is
ambiguous. What does ps xaguwww show?

if it really is running as UID asterisk, you should see
something like:

asterisk  8506  0.0  0.6 443672 12912 ?  Ssl  Oct02  31:46 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk

> Nothing generated from voicemail is showing up in the asterisk logs, nor
> does the console show any error after changing a password.

Otherwise, it could be some sort of odd file locking issue where multiple
things are trying to write to the same file at once?

Or perhaps you have a blank voicemail.conf.new that it can't erase, sitting
about somewhere?

Maybe try running asterisk under strace to see what happens when you try to
change a password.

Rob

--
Robert Lister     - London Internet Exchange - http://www.linx.net/