[asterisk-users] Anyone using an Intel Atom ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Oct 28 12:34:10 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Gordon Henderson
>> <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just built myself a little test server with an Atom 230 processor in it
>>> and am quite impressed with it so-far.
>>>
>>> Wondering is anyones used one in anger for a VoIP platform?
>>>
>>> I'm after something with a bit more oomph than the VIAs I'm currently
>>> using that I can use in a small box (mini ATX size) without going
>>> full-blown Xeons, etc.
>
>> I am but it is my new Acer Aspire One "laptop" or whatever they are
>> called now.
>
> Heh... That's what my Wife has, which is what prompted me to replace an
> older home server/firewall box with an Atom mobo :) .. Which is now
> running Debian with a custom kernel. I'm seriously thinking of getting
> another for my desktop box, but I might wait for the dual-core. (The 230
> is single core HyperThreaded)
>
>> It came with Windows XP, 120gig hd, 1gig ram, and Atom N270 @ 1.6ghz,
>> cam, unfortunately, no bluetooth but plenty of USB ports.  2.2 lbs.
>> Awesome for my air travel to Canada last week.
>
> She went for the Linux version (Linpus Lite). No HDD, just 8GB of flash,
> but for what she needs, that's fine and I'm jealous :)
>
>> I am going to setup a dual boot but I am watching various forums for a
>> recipe that "Just Works" on the Acer model.  I don't have the desire
>> to figure it out myself....
>
> Linpus is a free download, but a bit all-in-one, and a bit "my first
> computer" in appearance... Although with the disk size you have, I suspect
> just about anything will work - xubuntu's probably good enough. There was
> a recent thread on slashdot about notebooks recently though...
>
>> Awesome demo though, bring in a tiny laptop and phones bigger than the
>> PBX itself, plug it all in and start making and taking calls.  Not
>> that I would do it, but I would be impressed if I were the uninformed
>> buyer used to proprietary PBXs or just saw a demo for a brand
>> spankinng new NEC IPK.
>
> I've just put Ekiga on hers - works a treat with a headset - not got the
> video sussed yet - it's a codec issue, but I'll get there when I can next
> pry it out of her paws... Zoiper crashed and burned on it requiring a hard
> power cycle )-:
>
> As for mini PBXs, how about: http://www.drogon.net/dsx/dsx10v.html  ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

I will never install anything called "Linpus", lol, that might be
worst name for a distro I have ever heard.

I am watching some Fedora and CentOS threads, I want everything to
work, last I checked, the onboard video cam and the wireless NIC was
sort of working or not working.

Snagged it off Ebay for $300 even after M$ Cashback 30% deal and
retired a Dell 600m that had a cracked screen and the fan flaked out
so it would only run at 600mhz.  Not sure whether it is even worth
repurposing except for the memory and HD.

Single Unit Uitx 945G ATOM330 for a dual core, mobo, PCI slots for
~$82 plus shipping.
http://www.antonline.com/p_BOXD945GCLF2-PG_534270.htm is one heck of a deal!

I am really trying not to spend with things the way they are but that
is hard to resist.

Apologies for anyone offended for me posting a link to a good deal
that I have absolutely no affiliation with.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro