[asterisk-users] Anyone using an Intel Atom ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Oct 28 12:17:43 CDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Gordon Henderson
> <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Just built myself a little test server with an Atom 230 processor in it
>> and am quite impressed with it so-far.
>>
>> Wondering is anyones used one in anger for a VoIP platform?
>>
>> I'm after something with a bit more oomph than the VIAs I'm currently
>> using that I can use in a small box (mini ATX size) without going
>> full-blown Xeons, etc.

> I am but it is my new Acer Aspire One "laptop" or whatever they are
> called now.

Heh... That's what my Wife has, which is what prompted me to replace an
older home server/firewall box with an Atom mobo :) .. Which is now
running Debian with a custom kernel. I'm seriously thinking of getting
another for my desktop box, but I might wait for the dual-core. (The 230
is single core HyperThreaded)

> It came with Windows XP, 120gig hd, 1gig ram, and Atom N270 @ 1.6ghz,
> cam, unfortunately, no bluetooth but plenty of USB ports.  2.2 lbs.
> Awesome for my air travel to Canada last week.

She went for the Linux version (Linpus Lite). No HDD, just 8GB of flash,
but for what she needs, that's fine and I'm jealous :)

> I am going to setup a dual boot but I am watching various forums for a
> recipe that "Just Works" on the Acer model.  I don't have the desire
> to figure it out myself....

Linpus is a free download, but a bit all-in-one, and a bit "my first
computer" in appearance... Although with the disk size you have, I suspect
just about anything will work - xubuntu's probably good enough. There was
a recent thread on slashdot about notebooks recently though...

> Awesome demo though, bring in a tiny laptop and phones bigger than the
> PBX itself, plug it all in and start making and taking calls.  Not
> that I would do it, but I would be impressed if I were the uninformed
> buyer used to proprietary PBXs or just saw a demo for a brand
> spankinng new NEC IPK.

I've just put Ekiga on hers - works a treat with a headset - not got the
video sussed yet - it's a codec issue, but I'll get there when I can next
pry it out of her paws... Zoiper crashed and burned on it requiring a hard
power cycle )-:

As for mini PBXs, how about: http://www.drogon.net/dsx/dsx10v.html  ;-)

Cheers,

Gordon