[asterisk-users] OT: headsets

James Sneeringer jsneerin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 09:35:20 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Bill Michaelson <bill at cosi.com> wrote:
> The IP330 has a subminiature jack for headset/mic combos.  Are there quality
> headsets anyone would recommend for in-office use for heavy users with these
> phones?  Using any wiring path?  I've tried a cell phone earphone/mic, and
> it sounds OK, but it's flimsy for this application.

We've started switching out our Plantronics M-series amplifiers and
headsets with headsets from Jabra. Some of our agents have a problem
with their M-series amps where they get no audio when they pick up
using the phone's headset button, and they have to quickly go on-hook
and off-hook again with the amp. We also had some S11 sets, with which
we experienced horrible echo.

The main upshot for us is that the Jabra headsets don't require an
external amp, so they're simpler to install and cost less. We're using
them on Polycom 330, 550, and 650 sets, and the audio quality is
great. The have the usual quick-disconnect, so they're appropriate for
a call center (though the connector is not compatible with
Plantronics). They have adapters for both 2.5mm and RJ-8 modular
plugs, so they can be used on any Polycom IP phone with a dedicated
headset jack.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like the part numbers we're using.

-James