[asterisk-users] OT: headsets

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Sun Oct 5 15:30:48 CDT 2008

Some users at a new Asterisk installation with Polycom IP330 phones are
complaining about echo with the amplified headsets they used to use with
their Nortel phones.  I listened myself, and I here my own voice
annoyingly loudly, and no headset/phone combination of volume control
manipulation produces a very good experience.  I've avoided messing with
the Polycom internal settings for gain.

So I tried a Plantronics M10 device with the phone, and I think it works
fine.  I'm going to bring this to the client tomorrow.

They've been using the headsets by unplugging the handsets and putting
the headset box between the handset and the phone.  So I'm also going to
bring an IP430 phone which has an extra RJ11 jack for a more elegant
wiring setup and intelligent mode control directly from the phone
(trying to stroke a fickle user).

This all leads to the general question:

The IP330 has a subminiature jack for headset/mic combos.  Are there
quality headsets anyone would recommend for in-office use for heavy
users with these phones?  Using any wiring path?  I've tried a cell
phone earphone/mic, and it sounds OK, but it's flimsy for this application.