[asterisk-users] automatic call pickup

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Tue Oct 7 05:05:21 CDT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 01:42 -0700 schrieb Vieri:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm using Asterisk 1.2 and 1.4 in different setups. When a user wants to pick up a call
> within his/her pickup group, *8 must be dialed (or whatever you define in features.conf).
[...]
> I was thinking of configuring some sort of "auto speed dial" of the pickup code (*8) whenever
> the user picks the phone up but it seems that these phones don't support that.

Hi Vieri,

regarding your combination of analog phones and ATAs I would look for
the auto-dial functionality in the ATA. I am pretty sure I saw it in one
web-interface or the other, but surely not all vendors implement that
kind of functionality.

In your place I would also think about using a one-press pickup code,
like "#". I know this code is often in use for transfer or the like, but
if pickup is the 95%+ action then transfer doing "*#" instead of "#" (or
whatever) might be reasonable. This would reduce "pickup" to lifting the
handset and pressing the bottom left-most key, which can be done without
looking at the keypad.

One last idea: Perhaps your multi port ATA supports different kind of
ring codes (once short, twice short, no idea whatever) one of which will
_not_ ring the phones (which could interpret that signal meant as a
"short ring" as "line noise" or the like). Perhaps they even support
"silent ringing", not sending the ring signal at all, but nevertheless
answering the line if hook-up happens.

Best regards

Anselm