[asterisk-users] is DNS SRV enough for failover?

Andres andres at telesip.net
Wed Oct 1 01:19:48 CDT 2008

>Hi Sir.
>
>This is the result of my query:
>
>~$ host -t SRV _sip._udp.mydomain.com
>
>_sip._udp.mydomain.com has SRV record 0 1 5060 sip-1.mydomain.com.
>_sip._udp.mydomain.com has SRV record 0 3 5060 sip-2.mydomain.com.
>
>is that what you meant on having at least 2 SRV record?
>does this mean i need a UA capable of querying DNS SRV?
>
>i know it's not a real failover but at least the UA should still try to
>register on the other server if it cannot connect.

Those records look fine.  Priority is 0 for both, which is the highest,
and the higher one with weight of 3 should be selected most of the
times.  My guess is your UA is either not doing SRV queries or is not
following them in any case.  To know if it is actually doing the queries
try to sniff the traffic with Wireshark and analyze it.

Andres
http://www.neuroredes.com