[asterisk-users] is DNS SRV enough for failover?

Nhadie nhadie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:14:38 CDT 2008

Andres wrote:
> Nhadie wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm using DNS SRV for failover, i tried to test shutting the server
>> down, sip client should still register on the other server but it did
>> not.  i'm using x-lite which i don't know if it's doing a srv query.
>> does this mean SRV is not enough for failover? if a client has dns
>> caching would this cause a problem?
>>

> No it would not.  You should have at least 2 SRV records pointing to
> your 2 servers.  It is ok if your client is caching them if they are not
> supposed to change.  The problem lies in your client.  It should realize
> after a few seconds of trying to register to your main server that it
> cannot so it should try the next one in line according to your SRV Records.
>
> We have deployed thousands of Linksys units configured to query SRV
> records and they work fine in failover scenarios.  I cannot comment on
> X-Lite.

Hi Sir.

This is the result of my query:

~$ host -t SRV _sip._udp.mydomain.com

_sip._udp.mydomain.com has SRV record 0 1 5060 sip-1.mydomain.com.
_sip._udp.mydomain.com has SRV record 0 3 5060 sip-2.mydomain.com.

is that what you meant on having at least 2 SRV record?
does this mean i need a UA capable of querying DNS SRV?

i know it's not a real failover but at least the UA should still try to
register on the other server if it cannot connect.

thank you

regards,
nhadie