[asterisk-users] Software patents (was G723 on asterisk 1.4.1)

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Wed Oct 1 01:51:55 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Andrew Joakimsen <joakimsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Tilghman Lesher
> <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
>> It is completely illegal in any country that recognizes patents.
>
> You mean countries that recognize software patents, right?

As resident of country where the file is hosted - yes we don't have
software patents, they have been proposed to EU and reject few years
ago. So by law - software is algorithm and can't be patented.

In local laws we even are allowed to reverse-engineer software for
needs of compatibility and interoperability. So, writing code for
commercial codec and using it for interoperability with hardware
devices (you purchased) is allowed by law.

Damn, we even have a law that don't allow bittorrent trackers, as
bittorrent file is considered breaking copyright law.. Ironic :p

>> Please do NOT discuss ways to use unlicensed codecs on this list or any other forum
>> provided by Digium.  This has been discussed multiple times as to why not,
>> and I don't feel like rehashing the argument again.
>
> I did not know you were a moderator on this list.
>
>> contributory infringement
>
> What if  I make a page that explains the patent issues and then
> provide a link to http://asterisk.hosting.lv/ from that site and only
> provide people on this list a link to my site? What if I provide a
> link to the Google search for "asterisk g723?" Where do we draw the
> line? If that site is so illegal, why hasn't it been taken down? Why
> hasn't the patent holder at the very least provided Google with a DMCA
> notice?

I guess because it's completely legal here, and there's a disclaimer on page:
DISCLAIMER: You might have to pay royalty fees to the G.729/723.1
patent holders for using their algorithm.

It all depends on country and laws.

Regards,
Atis

--