[asterisk-users] Asterisk daemon dies about once per day

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Nov 26 16:41:08 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 04:20:44PM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008 13:59:49 Douglas Mortensen wrote:
> > OK. I know it's been a few weeks since my original post. Things have been
> > busy ;-) Based on help from the trixbox forums and the asterisk-users
> > mailing list, I have located 30 asterisk core dump files in /tmp. These
> > date from 10/30/08 to 10/24/08. Today is 10/26/08. So this does agree with
> > the intermittent nature of the problem. Many days there are no dumps. Other
> > days there are 5, 7, 6, 1, 4, or 2 dumps. I have used the viewcore tool as
> > indicated on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+debugging on one of the
> > most recent dump files and posted the output here:
> > http://kgotsi.com/static.php?page=static-asterisk-core-dumps I really don't
> > know what all of the output it produced means, so I'm relying on others
> > with more expertise here to take a look and tell me what insight it may
> > provide.
>
> I'm not sure who had the idea on running viewcore, but that information is
> about the most useless debug output I've seen.  I'd recommend that you
> follow the steps with gdb, as gdb provides FAR more useful output.

Read: install the packages gdb and asterisk-dbg (of the same version as
asterisk. *don't* upgrade). Then you can get useful backtraces.

> Also, Fonality binaries are not supported here.  You'd have to go to them
> directly for any support.

Trixbox CE's sources are publically available and rebuildable. Source
RPMs are available at http://yum.trixbox.org/centos/5/SRPMS/

> > FYI, I have not recompiled asterisk yet. I'm a little nervous
> > about downtime that could be caused by the process not going smoothly, but
> > definitely willing to do so if that's what is needed to fix this problem.
>
> Recompiling with the steps outlined in Murf's email is definitely the way to
> go to get a resolution to your problem from this forum.

Once you follow that, you don't necessarily have the original system.
Let's first extract data before starting to change the examined system.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com